Cover page and table of contents
1. Introduction and Overview (227K pdf) – Summarizes
the main elements of the report.
2. National Circumstances (602K pdf) – Presents
a snapshot of the national characteristics of the United States
that play a role in climate change, including the country's
climate, geography, economy, demographic trends, energy production
and consumption, and natural resources.
3. Greenhouse Gas Inventory (692K pdf) – Provides
a broad overview of all U.S. greenhouse gas emission sources
and sinks, introduces key concepts, and discusses the primary
drivers for the growth in emissions. All material in
the chapter is drawn from the U.S.
Inventory of Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Sinks: 1990–1999.
4. Policies and Measures (394K pdf) – Reviews national
policies to limit emissions and enhance sinks of greenhouse
gases undertaken since 1990.
5. Projections (386K pdf) – Quantifies the aggregate
effects on greenhouse gas emissions of policies and measures
implemented or planned from 1990 to 2020.
6. Vulnerability (1.5M pdf) – Addresses U.S. vulnerabilities
to the adverse consequences of climate change and identifies
the most promising adaptation measures being explored.
7. Financial Resources (543K pdf) – Reviews U.S.
efforts with other countries to assist with mitigation and
sequestration strategies, build human and institutional capacity
to address climate change, and facilitate the commercial transfer
8. Research and Observation (296K pdf) – Discusses
research efforts involving prediction of climate change, impacts
and adaptation, and mitigation and new technologies.
This chapter also provides an overview of U.S. work on Global
Climate Observing Systems.
9. Education, Training, and Awareness (308K pdf)
– Addresses programs to educate and train students and citizens
in areas related to climate change and reviews U.S. outreach
activities to disseminate information about global climate
A: Emission Trends. (1.9M pdf)
B: Policies and Measures. (1.7M pdf)
C: Selected Technology Transfer Activities and U.S.
Direct Financial Contributions and Commercial Sales Related
to Implementation of the UNFCCC. (4.3M pdf)
D: Climate Change Science: An Analysis of Some Key Questions.
E: Bibliography. (234K pdf)