Appendix A. The Proposed USGCRP Budget For FY98
The proposed FY98 USGCRP budget totals $1.878 billion. After adjusting so that comparable programs are included in the compilation (see discussion below), the FY98 request is an increase of $68 million (3.8%) from the estimated FY97 budget.
As outlined in this edition and in the FY97 edition of Our Changing Planet, the USGCRP budget supports scientific research on key global change environmental issues, including seasonal to interannual climate variability; climate change over decades to centuries; changes in ozone, UV radiation, and atmospheric chemistry; and changes in land cover and in terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems.
The USGCRP budget supports global change research integrating activities, including observing and monitoring global change; global change data, products, and information services; research on Earth system science and on human contributions and responses to global change; international research cooperation; and global change education and communication.
The figures and tables in Appendix A provide the following:
- USGCRP budgets for FY96-FY98 by Federal agency
- USGCRP budgets for FY96-FY98 by Budget Function
- USGCRP activities on global change environmental science issues by agency, indicating which agencies make a "broad- based" scientific contribution in each area and which agencies participate by making a more "focused" contribution
- USGCRP activities on issues central to program integration by agency, indicating which agencies make a "broad-based" scientific contribution in each area and which agencies participate by making a more "focused" contribution.
For comparison with USGCRP budgets in years prior to FY98, two changes in the presentation of the USGCRP budget by agency should be noted:
- The FY98 USGCRP budget request of $1.878 billion in this edition of Our Changing Planet  is identical to that identified for global change research in the President's FY98 Budget. This differs somewhat from the USGCRP budget presented in previous editions in which there typically were some differences (explained in each edition) with the numbers presented in the President's Budget for the same year.
In general, the changes in this edition involve reclassifying as part of the USGCRP certain programs and activities in some agencies that were not previously included in the USGCRP budget as presented in Our Changing Planet.
The FY96 and FY97 budget figures in this edition of Our Changing Planet  have been adjusted so that comparable programs are included throughout the compilation presented here for FY96, FY97, and FY98. The result is to make the USGCRP budget totals for FY96 and FY97 somewhat higher than those presented in previous editions.
- In this edition of Our Changing Planet, the USGCRP budget is presented in two broad components: Scientific Research, and Space- Based Observation Programs. This change is intended to make clearer the portion of the USGCRP budget that supports scientific research by individual investigators and small groups, as compared with the portion that supports NASA's Mission to Planet Earth program components relating directly to space missions—particularly the Earth Observing System series of satellites and data information systems, which provide data in support of the research activities.
Of the total USGCRP FY98 budget request, 61% supports Space-Based Observation Programs while 39% supports Scientific Research. The FY98 request for $1.153 billion for Space-Based Observation Programs is a 2.8% increase from the FY97 budget; the $725 million request for Scientific research is a 5.4% increase from FY97.
|Department of Agriculture (USDA)||52||57||61|
|Department of Commerce (DOC/NOAA, DOC/NIST)||58||60||62|
|Department of Energy (DOE)||113||112||110|
|Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)||4||4||4|
|Department of the Interior (DOI)||29||29||29|
|Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)||22||14||21|
|National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)||271||240||264|
|National Science Foundation (NSF)||163||164||166|
|Smithsonian Institution (SI)||7||7||7|
|Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA)||1||1||1|
|Scientific Research Subtotal||720||688||725|
|Space-Based Observation Programs|
|National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)b||1090||1122||1153|
|U.S. Global Change Research Program Totalc ||1810||1810||1878|
Go To: Appendix B: FY96- FY98
USGCRP Budget By Agency And Program
Return To: Table of Contents